Epilogue

An epilogue is a sum up of the event. Im not sure if thats an easy task. Because there is so much that went on in these past 10 days.
I started this trip no really thinking too much about it except that its a sort of pilgrimage for me. I felt I had to keep my record going, if nothing else. But as the start day grew closer I found myself getting more excited about meeting old friends and doing another epic ride.
So when it came I was really up for the challenge.
What I hadnt factored in was, I would be meeting great people who struggle every day with issues and the bravery and resilience of those people to keep going. And not only keep going. But who shine through their struggles. Those people would be cycling alongside me.
Some, from previous years, didn't make it through. And are gone forever now.
To see that there is help out there now, if anyone wants to talk. Were there never was before and that help is reaching into and is available to anyone who wants to talk, or not talk, just to be silent with. Wherever and whenever that is.
Im glad I went. It was a good thing to do
Swords Castle and the finish line
The perennial Conor

Doreen my listener


The great Super Gran, Kathleen has done every Km alongside me for 6 years
Big Sheamie and his lovely wife Jennifer. Don't know what she ever saw in him ;-D








But there is no 'sum up' to what is happening in the battle against suicide and mental health awareness.
I started this trip a bit cynical about the whole organisation of the cycle and suicide awareness. And I'm still cynical about what we are about.
But Im not a Messiah. I have no answers. I have no solutions. We, as a group don't have solutions.
All I know is that if we keep on keeping on . Doing what we do. Riding our bikes. Doing what we love as cyclists. Eventually, slowly we will make some kind of a difference.
 There are massive pressures on people. That aint going to change. We are pushing against the tide. And that aint going to change.
But if we save one! One family from a lifetime of despair. Is that not worth the effort?

I met this wonderful young woman. A girl really. Michaela Rafferty. Michaela spoke so positively on many occasions as she coordinated the presentations. She is working at the coalface in Northern Ireland and she said one thing that resonated with me. Will stay with me as a mantra for life.
She said...
"IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DID, 
YOU WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ALWAYS GOT"

See you next year. 2019CAS.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Congratulations on completing the cycle john, you’re a star, a stubborn and determined 70 yr old superstar even! Very well done 👍 xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Carrick-on-shannon to Mullingar 90km

Ballina to Carrick-on-Shannon